The Big Pharaoh
We've moved ... you are about to be redirected to Bigpharaoh.com

Thursday, November 18, 2004

I’m Back

Hello everyone. I am back from the red sea and Alexandria. I spent the feast holidays in the red sea and went for business in Alex. My last day in Alex was so cold, it rained real hard and people from Cairo like myself are not used to such cold whether. I forgot to take a jumper or anything with me and so I was shivering all night. I’ll post pics later.

I had two huge meals in Alex, you know, it was all on the company and so I treated myself with two huge fish and Kabab meals. Kabab is a meal of barbequed meat. I also had a dish of Kalawei (cows kidneys) and Makhasi (cows ummmmmmm, ahhhh, testicles!) Yea we eat those. Anyway, I loved the fish but didn’t like the Kabab that much. People from Alex can’t cook Kabab like those in Cairo, but they’re Egypt number one fish experts. You know what other city in the Middle East is very famous for its delicious mouth watering Kabab?? Hold your breath…….Fallujah!

Well, it seems that the world didn’t go that crazy when I was away. You know the normal stuff: the brutal killing and mutilation of the “mother of Iraqis” Margaret Hassan in Fallujah, suicide bombs here and there in Iraq, and the relatively good news coming from Fallujah (it is relatively quite in many parts and US/Iraqi troops are distributing food and stuff).

A very disturbing incident was the killing of 3 Egyptian policemen by Israeli forces. It happened before by the way. Last year, an Egyptian security guard was shot down on the Gaza/Egypt border. The Israelis mistake them for Palestinian militants. Well, Israel apologized for this new incident but I am not sure how this will play out here.

As for Iraq, it appears that there is a mega problem with the Sunnis. I can roughly assume that Sunnis in Iraq are divided into 2 segments: people who need a leader and people who do not need a leader. Those who do not need a leader are the secularist Sunnis and the educated who will follow their minds and go out to vote next January (provided that they go to the polls alive). In addition, they own the blogs we read everyday. Those who need a leader are leaderless. They are religious and they are upset that now after hundreds upon hundreds of years Shias suddenly became a major force in Iraq. Not all of them are insurgents of course, but support for insurgents is considerable among this group.

Shias have Sistani, Kurds have the 2 major parties, Sunnis who need a leader have a leader in prison. Those who claim to represent the Sunni population are either terrorists, Sunni clerics who sympathize with terrorists, and Islamic parties that felt the crush when Fallujah was attacked. Up until now no Sunni who can have a major influence stood up and said “OK, it’s over, Saddam is over, all out Sunni rule over Iraq is over, if we wanna have a stake in this country, we better drop the gun and pick up the ballot.”



|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?