The Big Pharaoh
We've moved ... you are about to be redirected to

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Al Fayhaa Interviews Saddam Hussein

I just saw a telephone interview that Al Fayhaa, an Iraqi popular satellite channel, had with Saddam Hussein from his prison cell! My jaws dropped when I saw that. He was so humble while answering the questions. I am wondering why this was not in the news. Here is a brief transcript of the part I managed to hear.

Al Fayhaa: What do you think of the court that will judge you?

Saddam: Bush should be the one judged.

Al Fayhaa: What did Bush do to be judged?

Saddam: He occupied Iraq.

Al Fayhaa: We are not talking about occupation here but about the crimes that were committed by you against the Iraqi people. The mass graves, the killings.

Saddam: These are all fabrications. There isn't a single evidence to prove that I killed anyone or pulled the trigger on anyone. These are all lies.

Al Fayhaa: There are tones of papers with your signature on them. They all prove that arrests and murders were committed after your command.

Saddam: Anyone can forge signatures. I never touched an Iraqi citizen with harm.

Al Fayhaa: What about the news of the deal that might prevent your execution. Do you want such a deal?

Saddam: The Iraqi people are kind. I can give an apology and allow me to go anywhere, Qatar, anywhere. (emphasis added:I am wondering why he mentioned Qatar in particular)

Al Fayhaa: Are you afraid of being executed if you faced the court?

Saddam: I heard that you stopped executions but they were renewed.

That was a brief transcript of what I managed to hear. I wish an Iraqi blogger would post a more accurate and full transcript.

That interview was so unprecedented. A channel interviews the previous dictator from his prison cell! I noticed how the anchor addressed Saddam with the informal word "Inta", literally meaning "You".

The channel then received calls from Iraqis from all around Iraq and the world. Almost all agreed that Saddam should be judged and refused any deal that might lessen his sentence.


I apologize the interview was with someone who simulated Saddam Hussein's voice! I just didn't watch the whole thing from the beginning and so I didn't know it was just an imagined interview.
I got an email from Omar from Iraq the Model, he said:

I just heard that the interview was NOT with Saddam himself.a friend who watched
the show said that the channel was simulating an interview with Saddam and
expecting how it would look like. the person on the other side of the phone was
someone mocking Saddam's voice.

I find it interesting though that the channel chose Qatar to be the country that "Saddam" would love to go TO after offering his apology to the Iraqi people. I was not surprised given the fact that we all know that Al Jazeera had a very intimate relationship with Saddam's son. The Qatari ruler fired his channel's managing director only after this relationship came out of the closet when Saddam regime crumbled down.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?