The Big Pharaoh
We've moved ... you are about to be redirected to

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Historic Elections

It seems that I was wrong when I assumed that these elections won't end up to be special. Today, everyone was talking about the elections and several were lamenting the fact that they didn't vote even though they knew very well that the omnipresent fraud was there. I myself feel so upset that I didn't get a chance to see the polling station yesterday and I'm determined to bring my butt to the police station and get a voting card, bearing in mind that visiting a government institution is the last thing I want to do.

Fraud, forgery, and dirty political maneuvers are an integral part of Egyptian politics. Yesterday's elections were not different. I believe that even if Ayman Noor came in second, the state will still put him third. The government cannot accept a young mischievous member of parliament to be right under Mubarak in the second seat. They can accept Nomaan Gomaa, the leader of a well known party, but definitely not Ayman Noor, definitely not this "kid" so to speak. Some say that Gomaa decided to run for president only to "break" Ayman Noor who was once a member of Gomaa's party.

Yesterday was definitely a historical day in spite of all the drawbacks.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?