The Big Pharaoh
We've moved ... you are about to be redirected to Bigpharaoh.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

What A Shame

Holocaust denier Irving is jailed

British historian David Irving has been found guilty in Vienna of denying the Holocaust of European Jewry and sentenced to three years in prison.

He admitted that in 1989 he had denied that Nazi Germany had killed millions of Jews. He said this is what he believed, until he later saw the personal files of Adolf Eichmann, the chief organiser of the Holocaust.

"I said that then based on my knowledge at the time, but by 1991 when I came across the Eichmann papers, I wasn't saying that anymore and I wouldn't say that now," Irving told the court.

"The Nazis did murder millions of Jews."

As someone who disapproved of the childish "boycott Denmark" campaign and as someone who believes that millions of Jews and non-Jews perished in the Holocaust, I say that today is a shameful day for freedom of speech and expression. Jailing someone because he denied the Holocaust is wrong. I know countries that adopt such Holocaust rules have their own reasons, but I am afraid I don't think any reason should stand in the way of freedom of speech. I am glad most European countries, among them Denmark, don't have Holocaust laws.

Countries with laws against Holocaust denial: :

Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic
France
Germany
Israel
Lithuania
Poland
Romania
Slovakia
Switzerland

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?