The Big Pharaoh
We've moved ... you are about to be redirected to

Saturday, March 04, 2006

You Convert, We Pay

My 82 years old grandma has 2 nannies who take care of her. One of the nannies is a Muslim, the other is Christian.

I went to visit grandma today and met the Christian nanny's brother who came asking for money from his sister. I promised him that I would help him find a job. I asked for his name and he answered with an obvious Muslim name. When he left, curiosity got the better of me and I asked the sister how can her brother have a Muslim name and she's Christian.

"My 4 brothers converted to Islam years ago. Some people offered them jobs and money on the condition that they convert. I take this one with me to church though." she said.

Christians in Egypt complain of organized attemps by radical Muslim groups to convert poor Christians. Muslims also say that Western missionaries use economic incentives to convert Africans to Christianity.

I always believed Christians in Egypt were exaggerating about these "we pay after you convert" groups. I now know I was wrong.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?